Knowledge is cumulative, and every groundbreaking discovery is determined to a large extent by the discoveries that came before it.Frederic Lawrence Holmes
Former Chair, History of Medicine, Yale University
Yale Bulletin and Calendar, Volume 29, 2000
goes far beyond the past decade.
Regardless of discipline, research carried out in the past is still critical to uncovering new discoveries. The Thomson Reuters Backfile Archives significantly enhance the depth and breadth of results on the Web of Science. With over 100 years of fully indexed publications in the science, social sciences and arts & humanities, this valuable retrospective content is unmatched in quality and coverage by other information providers, anywhere.
- Find new routes to discovery by tracing research backward in time and explore citing and cited articles that have influenced foundational research.
- Calculate an accurate h-index by ensuring the full extent of an author’s past research is taken into account.
- Open your institutions’ intellectual vault and increase the visibility of your full text collection and the value of your investment.
Web of Science Core Collection from 1900
Web of Science Core Collection backfiles provide access to millions of additional source items and cited references — plus cited reference searching for the entire database.
- CENTURY OF SCIENCE: Science Citation Index Expanded™ - to 1900
- CENTURY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES: Social Sciences Citation Index® - to 1900
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index® - to 1975
- Current Chemical Reactions® - to 1986, plus archives from 1840 - 1985 from INPI
- Index Chemicus - to 1993
Biological Abstracts® from 1926
Delivers over 15 million records from life sciences journals on topics ranging from botany to microbiology to pharmacology. Includes fully digital coverage of all 49 Biological Abstracts print volumes, 1926-1968.
BIOSIS Previews® from 1926
Life sciences coverage includes journals, conferences, meetings, symposia, workshops, review articles, US patents, books, book chapters and software reviews. Over 19 million records include fully digital coverage of all 49 Biological Abstracts print volumes, 1926-1968.
CAB Abstracts® from 1910
Covers every area of agricultural science, veterinary medicine, nutrition, and natural resources from 1973. Includes pioneering literature from 1910 to 1972, all re-indexed with modern terms and fully searchable. Over 9 million records are available. Produced by CABI Publishing.
Derwent Innovations IndexSM from 1963
Backfiles coverage includes over 26 million patent records in all technologies from 48 international patent-issuing authorities.
FSTA - Food Science and Technology Abstracts® from 1969
Indexes food science and technology and food-related human nutrition research. Includes over 1 million records. Produced by IFIS Publishing.
Inspec® from 1898
Provides international scientific and technical literature in physics and engineering. Includes fully digitized bibliographic records from 176 print volumes, 1898 to 1968 — the entire backfile of Science Abstracts journals, the precursor to the Inspec database. This in-depth coverage delivers access to over 15 million records. Produced by the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
MEDLINE® from 1950
Includes biomedical, life sciences, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine and preclinical sciences research. Provides coverage of over 23 million records. From the U.S. National Library of Medicine® (NLM® ).
Zoological Record® from 1864
Zoological Record is the world’s leading taxonomic reference, and for years has served as the unofficial register of animal names. Covers every field in animal biology, including biodiversity, taxonomy, veterinary sciences, and wildlife management. Includes original bibliographic and taxonomic indexing data from 1864-1977; now digitally indexed and fully searchable, with unified and mapped terminology. Includes over 4 million records.
- Follow the history or methodology of an idea
- Locate current research based on earlier patents, reports, published works or findings
- Find similar or related records that have no obvious direct connections
- Create a list of experts within a field
- Verify the accuracy of a citation
- Track the research activities of colleagues, competitors, and potential collaborators
- Fully indexed, searchable, and linkable data
- Instant access to the full text
- Older volumes, once only available in print, now fully digitized and re-indexed with modern search terms and functions
- Comprehensive, worldwide coverage in the sciences, social sciences, arts and humanities